Company: CA Dept of Technology
Title: Director, State CIO
Throughout his career, Carlos Ramos has been a leader on many of California’s key technology initiatives. He has served as Director of the Office of Systems Integration with a $4.5 billion portfolio of California’s largest technology projects. He also concurrently held the position of Assistant Secretary for Health and Human Services and was the Agency’s senior technology executive. Carlos was the principal technology advisor to the Secretary and was responsible for the entire HHS IT portfolio. He helped architect the consolidation of the state’s largest data centers and the creation of California’s Department of Technology Services.
Carlos served as Director of the then Teale Data Center one of the largest public-sector data centers in the world with an annual budget of $200 million and over 200 government agency customers. He also previously served as the CIO for California’s Department of Social Services, managing a large computing infrastructure and a statewide data communications network.
During his state career, Carlos has been directly involved in many of the largest enterprise IT initiatives that the State has undertaken including:
- Establishment of the State’s Office of System Integration (OSI)
- The State’s automated child support system
- Consolidation of the Teale and Health and Human Services Data Centers
- Development of a state IT project oversight model
- Development of the state’s IT project governance model
- Development of innovative and effective IT procurement models
- Development of enterprise IT security operations and oversight models
- Development of a multi-data center collaborative which developed strategies for a number of critical IT issues (e.g. operational recovery, information security, mutual aid in succession planning and staff development, and software procurement)
- Establishment of the CA.GOV state internet portal
Carlos has held many leadership commissions throughout his career in state government including:
- Chair State of California IT Strategic Plan Committee
- Chair State of California SOA Governance Workgroup
- Executive Member Information Technology Council
- Member Governor’s E-Government Policy Advisory Group
- Chair Data Center Directors Policy Council
- Chair Government Technology Conference
- Chair the California IT Executive Institute
Carlos is returning to state service after three years leading an independent consulting practice, during which he served as a member of the Human Services IT Advisory Group, as an ERP advisor to the State Controller’s Office, an ERP advisor to the Department of Corrections and a senior fellow with the Center for Digital Government.
Carlos is excited by the opportunity to serve the people of California as part of Governor Brown’s cabinet.